Sunday, April 19, 2015

Star Wars Celebration Anaheim

I was at Star Wars Celebration yesterday, running around trying to get interviews from people in the Star Wars community for our documentary. I have to admit it was a bit of an emotional roller coaster. On one hand I was really excited and looking forward to meeting some of our SW family in person and having a chance to finally say thank you in person. On the other hand, the sadness would creep in and remind why I even met these people and it made me miss Leah so very much, especially because I wanted them to be able to meet Leah someday, and now she's gone. But funny enough, Leah was there with us, putting people right in our paths, it seemed like. I had been trying to find some people and suddenly I would take a breath, look straight ahead and there they were! That happened to me with many people, including Albin Johnson! I thought I wasn't going to be able to meet up with him and then I walk out and see him right in front of me, as if Leah had guided me right to him. :)

It was amazing to hear some of the things that were said in the interviews, it was incredibly difficult not to break down into tears right there, and a few times I almost did, but was able to get through it with lots of hugs. I can't wait to edit some of the footage together and show you guys, it really reinforces our mission with this documentary and why we need to tell her story. So many people in the community were touched and seeing everyone come together was amazing. If we can harness that tremendous charitable energy, we can continue to fight for other children with mito, and perhaps help them have the chance that Leah didn't get, to live a full, happy healthy life.

On a personal note, just hearing the things that were said about us and about Leah, I am continuously amazed and humbled that people see us as such strong individuals. I can't tell you how often I don't feel strong at all, I still struggle to get through some days without the crushing pain of Leah's loss. Some days I wake up and can't find the strength to pull myself up and out of bed, or I go back and forth in my mind of what else I could have done to give Leah a better, longer life.

Hearing these stories yesterday, it renews my strength and I gain more confidence in knowing that this project will be great and that we're doing the right thing, to remember Leah and to hopefully make a difference in other people's lives, in the same way our global family did for us.

I'm thankful for the time I got to spend with those I met and spoke to yesterday. Although I'm sad that I didn't get to see everyone I wanted to, I know we'll have more chances to see them once we get the funding to start traveling again.

With love and peace,

Frani

1 comment:

  1. We couldn't make it this time. It feels like missing a family reunion. You are always in our hearts. The Mason Family

    ReplyDelete